Friday, June 27, 2008

June 27, 2008

Happy Friday people!
(unfortunately, I have to work tomorrow )
Well I got the call back from my Dr yesterday afternoon. I have an annular tear in my lower back between the L4 & L5 nerves. I don't completely understand all the medical jargon yet, but Dr. Shuck is wanting me to see a back surgeon to get his opinion on whether I need physical therapy, chiropractic care, or worst case surgery. I am currently waiting to get an appointment with the surgeon to determine what we will do next.
This is what I found on Google about annular tears:

"When healthy, the discs separating the vertebrae in your spine have soft, gel-like centers surrounded by layers of fibrous tissues. This outer layer is called an annulus.
Due to injury or just aging, small tears can form in the annulus. When the gel-like center of the disc pushes through an annular tear, this is called a disc herniation."

It also lists treatment options of: chiropractic medicine, physical rehabilitation, Dr's treatment and MCU therapy.

So, at this point we know why my back hurts, we just don't know what we are going to do to fix it yet. As always your thoughts and prayers are always appreciated, I am just doing my best not to over react and freak out at this point. (obviously that helps nothing, LOL)

I would also like to request your prayers for my Aunt Martha who lives in OKC. She recently found out she has cancer and will be undergoing a historectomy early next month. My mom will be travelling down to stay with her through the surgery.

Hope everyone has a great weekend, maybe it will stay a little drier?!?!
See y'all next week!!

2 comments:

wolffx5 said...

I'll be thinking of you!

Michielle said...

I'm so sorry that you are having back pain!! I can totally relate...except, I'm sure I don't have a tear!! Try to stay calm and hopefully it will be something very simple and non-invasive that will help your problem. I'll be thinking about you and your family.
Michielle